from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A localized swelling filled with blood resulting from a break in a blood vessel.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A swelling of blood, usually clotted, which forms as a result of a broken blood vessel.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A localised leakage of blood from the blood vessels into nearby tissues, usually confined within a tissue or organ; especially, a local swelling produced by an effusion of blood beneath the skin, which may clot and discolor the affected area.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, a swelling filled with extravasated blood. Also hematome, hæmatome.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a localized swelling filled with blood
But just 1.4% of patients undergoing the wrist technique suffered major vascular complications, such a large bruise called a hematoma, or injuries to the artery near the entry site requiring a surgical repair.
Serena did indeed suffer from a pulmonary embolism last week, and the hematoma was another unexpected scare.
Last winter, he developed a hematoma, which is a pooling of blood, on the stump.
Vitamin E and surgery do not mix because Vitamin E is associated with increased bleeding, and this can lead to collection of blood called a hematoma that could result in serious complications.
A normal fall will cause a subdermal hematoma, which is treatable.
Onset of her problem was delayed after the fall, as sometimes happens with an epidural hematoma, which is usually the result of a head injury.
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Subdural hematoma, which is a bleeding underneath the skull.
She developed what is called an epidural hematoma, which is that blood collection we showed.
That could result in what we call the subdural hematoma, which is a bleeding underneath the skull.
She developed what is called an epidural hematoma, which is that blood collection that we showed.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.