from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A localized swelling filled with blood resulting from a break in a blood vessel.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A swelling of blood, usually clotted, which forms as a result of a broken blood vessel.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A localised leakage of blood from the blood vessels into nearby tissues, usually confined within a tissue or organ; especially, a local swelling produced by an effusion of blood beneath the skin, which may clot and discolor the affected area.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, a swelling filled with extravasated blood. Also hematome, hæmatome.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a localized swelling filled with blood
From New Latin (Wiktionary)