American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Offensive Used as a disparaging term for a young Black child.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See piccaninny.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. U.S. & West Indies A small child; especially, a negro or mulatto infant. Now (2001) used primarily in the latter sense, and in that sense often considered derogatory.
- n. (ethnic slur) offensive term for a Black child
- From Spanish pequeño ("little, small"), or Portuguese pequeno ("little, small") or pequenino ("small one, young one") (Wiktionary)
- Possibly from Spanish pequeño, small + niño, child, or from Portuguese pequenino, diminutive of pequeno, small. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Don't forget about Evan Mecham, Arizona's former governor who made the "pickaninny" statement and the cancellation of the state's Martin Luther King, Jr.Day. so what?”
“In 1932 Langston Hughes criticized Little Black Sambo as a typical "pickaninny" storybook which was hurtful to black children, and gradually the book disappeared from lists of recommended stories for children.”
“In connection with the thread earlier on the new Mexican stamps depicting a "pickaninny" cartoon character, I noticed three related items in Mexconnect today.”
“Has you all seen anything of a low down black pickaninny which is los '?”
“Further thoughts on PC language -- I can have my character substitute "pickaninny" for "nigger" in that first exchange, dragging in the added baggage of dismissing the object as a child -- there's a jealousy component as well.”
“He had some pickaninny heads, in poor condition, that he would let go for ten bob.”
“One fella Adamu he stop along outside pickaninny house.”
“What name you fella kanaka all the same pickaninny?”
“When I was a little pickaninny, I knew more about fish and the ways of fish than you know now.”
“Him black Mary, him pickaninny, walk about long way big bit.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘pickaninny’.
Alle Menschen werden Brüder - sooner or later? Derogatory terms for anybody different.
Words compiled while reading Lolita
I'm reading books. And there are words and phrases I come upon for the first time, or that are used with usages that are new to me.
So, this is just a plain list of those words. Don't expect ...
These chromonyms are defined as colors in at least one dictionary (mostly MW3). (Actually there's one fake, for reasons I'll explain someday.) They are all one-word nouns such as "kelly", which can...
Looking for tweets for pickaninny.