from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A series of small embroidered loops forming an ornamental edging on some ribbon and lace.
- transitive v. To trim with small embroidered loops.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An embroidery trim made of a series of small loops
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of many small loops, as of thread, forming an ornamental border, as on a ribbon.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small loop forming part of an ornamental edging, but larger than the pearl and thicker, consisting of a thread upon which other thread has been wound, or to which small stitches or knots have been added.
- n. The front or outer edge of a flounce or border, as of lace.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an edging of small loops, as on lace or ribbon
French, from Old French, from pic, point, from piquer, to prick; see pique.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)