American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A series of small embroidered loops forming an ornamental edging on some ribbon and lace.
- v. To trim with small embroidered loops.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small loop forming part of an ornamental edging, but larger than the pearl and thicker, consisting of a thread upon which other thread has been wound, or to which small stitches or knots have been added.
- n. The front or outer edge of a flounce or border, as of lace.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One of many small loops, as of thread, forming an ornamental border, as on a ribbon.
- n. an edging of small loops, as on lace or ribbon
- French, from Old French, from pic, point, from piquer, to prick; see pique. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I think the picot point inthe debate is pretty easy, and it doesn; t have to be a joke it just has to be humble. and the turnaround is to point out that the epithet is not an insult to Obama it is an insult to the people.”
“I don't like the picot bind off and will probably make the next one without it and then decide how to make the third glove. by cavalaxis at”
“You taught me two things today: the name of the edge picot and that Duncan is an Orange Norwegian Forest Cat!”
“Enjoy the perky picot hems and the almost perfect short row heels me and short row heels are an emerging relationship.”
“I decided to do a folded hem instead of the garter stitch and that took a bit of fiddling to get right note to self: picot hems and summer tweed don't mix.”
“Love the socks -- what a great color combo, and the picot edge is lovely!”
“Hey Steph - what instructions do you use for your picot?”
“Next row, knit all the way round, picking up wrapped stitches then the picot row then knit four more rows, but on the third, increase about four stitches on each outside curve of the short row shaping section.”
“The picot edging turns up as well, so I might redo that.”
“For knitters and new crafters exploring the hook comes the primer: the advantages of crochet and the ways in which knitters and nonknitters benefit by learning this sister craft; a discussion of tools; all the cool yarns available, and what the different gauges mean; plus basic techniques and stitch patterns--including the chain stitch, picot, flowers, filet crochet, changing yarns, and finishing.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘picot’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Terms pertaining to lace and lace-making. Patterns, tools, types, styles, stitches.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
"The art of working with the needle raised and ornamental designs in threads of silk, cotton, gold, silver, or other material, upon any woven fabric, leather, paper, etc. Embroidery has been used i...
A myriad of game-changing words every Scrabble addict must have in his arsenal.
Keep in mind that these are all tried-and-true feasibly playable words selected for their handiness, i.e...
Just what it says. Words that end in -ot.
Looking for tweets for picot.