from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A flat disk of metal ready for stamping as a coin; a coin blank.
- n. A small shallow metal container in which a radioactive substance is deposited for measurement of its activity.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A flat disk of metal used as a blank for stamping a coin
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A flat piece of metal; especially, a disk of metal ready to be stamped as a coin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A flat piece of metal intended to receive a die-impression for a coin; a coin-blank.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a flat metal disk ready for stamping as a coin
Diminutive of planch, flat plate, slab, from Middle English plaunche, plank, from Old French planche, from Late Latin planca, from feminine of Latin plancus, flat; see plāk-1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)