from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Designating soil or minerals occurring in flaky layers.
- n. Any of several small freshwater live-bearing fishes of the genus Xiphophorus of southern North America popular in aquariums for their bright and variable colors. Also called platyfish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Resembling plates.
- adj. Of a field semy of plates.
- adj. Composed of thin plate-like pieces of igneous rock.
- n. A tropical fish of the genus Xiphophorus (also including the swordtails.)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Like a plate; consisting of plates.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Like a plate; consisting of plates.
- In geology, made up of thin plates of hard rock, or splitting into such thin plates.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small stocky Mexican fish; popular aquarium fish
A live-bearer, it is closely related to the southern platyfish or "platy" (X. maculatus) and can interbreed with it.
Eg How badly do Lampard and Essien have to platy before McEachran and Ramires get a shot in their place or how about trying Boswinga on the wing ahead of Ivanovic or even Bruma in a 4-4-2.
The platy family proved to be excellent hosts, and the travelers spent the most relaxing evening and night in days luxuriating in their hospitality.
The platy put his thumbs through suspenders, nodding downstream.
Do we really think that ambition has no role to platy in politics .... as if Obama ran for President for only selfless reasons?
In the paint industry, ground mica is used as a pigment extender that also facilitates suspension due to its light weight and platy morphology.
They are stable, platy, like to stay suspended and stick to my cars paint.
Owing to the fibrous or platy structure, the floes crack easily, and where the ice is not over thick a ship under steam cuts a passage without much difficulty.
[Updated 2006-06-28] Oh my, I forgot to include the platy-ma-pus -- it tickles me to no end that this funny-looking thing has poisonous spikes!
Thanks! gags sport snackers gucci woman www reptil com lee and eddies massage shower head salon spa product harry winston knobber microtoy complete wonderland park collection banana fish poecilia reticulata carboline barbecuing fishing frame platy clam shrimp lantern koi luck knitted car seat blanket patterns true temper - 2006-08-15 16: 01: 54
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.