from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Designating soil or minerals occurring in flaky layers.
- n. Any of several small freshwater live-bearing fishes of the genus Xiphophorus of southern North America popular in aquariums for their bright and variable colors. Also called platyfish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Resembling plates.
- adj. Of a field semy of plates.
- adj. Composed of thin plate-like pieces of igneous rock.
- n. A tropical fish of the genus Xiphophorus (also including the swordtails.)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Like a plate; consisting of plates.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Like a plate; consisting of plates.
- In geology, made up of thin plates of hard rock, or splitting into such thin plates.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small stocky Mexican fish; popular aquarium fish
Short for New Latin Platypoecilus, former genus name : platy- + Greek poikilos, many-colored.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
plate + -y (Wiktionary)