from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A puff of smoke or dust
- n. A hairdresser's powder puff
- n. The act of using a powder puff
- v. To dust or to puff with smoke
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To throw out, as smoke, dust, etc., in puffs.
- n. A puff, as of smoke from a pipe, or of dust from a puffball; a slight explosion, as of a small quantity of gunpowder.
- n. A hairdresser's powder puff; also, the act of using it.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To throw out smoke or fine dust in quick whiffs, as by igniting gunpowder or throwing out hair-powder from a puffball.
- n. A puff of smoke or dust, as from gunpowder or hair-powder.
- n. An instrument used in powdering the hair, made like a sort of bellows, by which the powder was blown in a cloud. Also powder-puff.
- n. In botany, a Scotch name for a species of puffball, Bovista lycoperdon.
Sorry, no etymologies found.