American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A stiff flour pudding boiled in a cloth bag or steamed.
- n. Decaying leaves and branches covering a forest floor.
- n. Fine coal; slack.
- n. Slang The buttocks.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Dough; paste of bread.
- n. Nautical, a stiff flour pudding boiled in a bag or cloth: as, sailors' plum duff.
- n. Vegetable growth covering forest-ground.
- n. Fine coal.
- In golf, to miss a stroke by hitting the ground behind the ball.
- n. dialectal Dough.
- n. A stiff flour pudding, often with dried fruit, boiled in a cloth bag, or steamed
- n. Scotland, US Decaying vegetable matter on the forest floor.
- n. Coal dust.
- n. slang The bits left in the bottom of the bag after the booty has been consumed, like crumbs.
- n. Something spurious or fake; a counterfeit, a worthless thing.
- n. baseball, slang, 1800s An error.
- adj. UK Worthless; not working properly, defective.
- n. US, slang The buttocks.
- v. slang, obsolete To disguise something to make it look new.
- v. Australia To alter the branding of stolen cattle; to steal cattle.
- v. UK, slang To beat (up).
- v. US, golf To hit the ground behind the ball.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Prov. Eng. Dough or paste.
- n. A stiff flour pudding, boiled in a bag; -- a term used especially by seamen.
- n. slang the buttocks.
- v. To treat or manipulate so as to give a specious appearance to; to fake; hence, to cheat.
- v. In Australia, to alter the brands on (cattle, horses, etc.); to steal (cattle, etc.), and alter their brands.
- n. a stiff flour pudding steamed or boiled usually and containing e.g. currants and raisins and citron
- Originally thieves' slang; probably a back-formation from duffer. (Wiktionary)
- Dialectal variation of dough.Origin unknown. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“April 26th, 2007 at 5: 26 pm hillary duff is so class i love her she the best in the world xxxxxxxx”
“October 11th, 2007 at 2: 56 pm hilary duff is an anjel she is the best ilke her very much i wish that i wana to meet here onse in my life she is the best actor i like here very much vikki Says:”
“September 12th, 2006 at 7: 48 am cooool hilary duff is sooo cuteeee and soo butiful ilove you hilary soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo mmuch (L) (L) (L)”
“i totally think that hilary duff is soooooooooooooo cool i love her in lizzie mguire she is a really good actor maria Says:”
“The only thing getting up the duff will be my plums.”
“In tis innerluud it duff beefaw, tat I, wun snout by name duff prezent a wall”
“What's known as the duff layer is suddenly removed, and this duff, or decaying organic material on the forest floor, is habitat for several species of insects, spiders, small vertebrates, bacteria and fungi.”
“I've seen them live numerous times and I don't recall a duff gig, in fact most were glorious riotous funky celebrations.”
“Because she reckons getting up the duff is the answer.”
“Yes, he actually took not the slightest notice of these, but, instead, poked his head into all the holes and corners where he was likely to find sundry and various small gear, such as dirty towels, "duff" bags, ditty bags, and so forth.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘duff’.
Coal mining has engendered fascinating subcultures in industry, labor, music, folklore, environment and energy. It has a rich vocabulary as well, and I've encountered some gorgeous mining words. I...
words for buttocks and anything
to do with buttocks
Words that deal with stealing and thievery!
Fissiparous Weekly Standard Nigeria a fissiparous country 3/2012
faveword A foreshortened version of "favorite word"
but now they're not because I looked them up. In cases of polysemy or homography, *of course* it was the oddest meaning that stumped me. ;)
Words from the works of Peter Reading - at least one from each (except the Schwitters-esque erosions, cut-ups etc).
Words and phrases from Jonathan Stroud's book, Ptolemy's Gate.
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
Words I've come across while reading and looked up in the dictionary.
Looking for tweets for duff.