American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of several small nocturnal African primates of the genera Perodicticus and Arctocebus, having a pointed snout, large eyes and ears, and a stumplike index finger and tail.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small West African lemuroid quadruped, Perodicticus potto. See Perodicticus.
- n. The kinkajou, Cercoleptes caudivolvulus. See cut under kinkajou.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A nocturnal mammal (Perodictius potto) of the Lemur family, found in West Africa. It has rudimentary forefingers. Called also
aposoro, and bush dog.
- n. The kinkajou.
- n. arboreal fruit-eating mammal of tropical America with a long prehensile tail
- n. a kind of lemur
- Of Niger-Congo origin; perhaps akin to Wolof pata, a tailless monkey, or Akan (Twi) apɔsɔ, a fierce monkeylike animal. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“There are small primate populations of potto Perodicticus potto, western black and white colobus Colobus polykomos, red colobus Colobus badius (EN), diana monkey Cercopithecus diana (EN), lesser bushbaby Galago senegalensi and chimpanzees Pan troglodytes (EN) which are close neighbors of the tool-using population in Bossou.”
“I would keep it in a grotto, if I only had a potto, and I'd feed it on risotto”
“The teeth of the labyrinthodon, the hand of the potto, the whalebone of whales, the wings of birds, the climbing tendrils of some plants, &c. have also been adduced as instances of structures, the origin and production of which are probably due rather to considerable modifications than to minute increments.”
“The missing forefinger to the hand of the potto  would appear at first sight to have been lost by some such mishap.”
“Check out photos of a newborn potto, baby orangutan and some playful tiger cubs.”
“They are lotto-potto in Italy spending a reported 27-billion euros a year on trying to beat the balls.”
“To these species of monkeys, one can add black and white colubus; gray cheeked Mangabey, red tailed monkey, bus baby, potto and olive baboon.”
“_guiso de potto_ which one gets in any _rancho_ in the Banda”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘potto’.
What is this list about?
Interesting words in nature and natural science (in any language!).
What kind of words am I supposed to add?
You can add species names that you lov...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Things that sound edible but are not (usually). See Liberty's To Eat, or Not to Eat? for more diet food.
big ones,small ones,as many as
I can find
I'm nöt a fan of IKEA the cömpäny or störe, but måny of their prödüct names make me giggle.
I started this off with reål prödüct names, but feel free to make them üp.
You know what I'm talking about. Look for the images...
I'm wading through Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels one by one, and someday, I'll wade through them again and list all the words I learned while reading them.
Edit: I started ma...
my favorite voiceless bilabial plosive.
Inspired by the Vicious Sheep list.
juvenile delinque..., mandelbrot celery, militant messiani..., cruel mangoes, hooligan higgs bo..., pre-raphaelite pe..., simian skullduggery, pillow talk of th..., the tyranny of th..., onto pastry recap..., barry the stable guy, ninnyhammer of th... and 25 more...
Looking for tweets for potto.