from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The condition or quality of being primitive.
- n. The style characteristic of a primitive artist.
- n. A belief that it is best to live simply and in a natural environment.
- n. A belief that the acquisitions of civilization are evil or that the earliest period of human history was the best.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state or quality of being primitive
- n. The opinion that life was better or more moral among primitive peoples, or among children, and has deteriorated with civilization
- n. Any of a group of related styles in the arts, influenced by a belief in the superiority of primitive forms
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a genre characteristic of (or imitative of) primitive artists or children
- n. a wild or unrefined state
primitive + -ism (Wiktionary)