from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Prevention of or protective treatment for disease.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Prevention of, or protective treatment for disease.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The art of preserving from, or of preventing, disease; the observance of the rules necessary for the preservation of health; preservative or preventive treatment.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In medicine, the guarding against the attack of some disease. Also prophylactic, prophylaxy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the prevention of disease
New Latin, from Greek prophulaktikos, prophylactic; see prophylactic.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin, from Ancient Greek πρό (pro, "before") + φυλάξις (phylaxis, "a watching, guarding"). (Wiktionary)