American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Having or being a sleeve that extends in one piece to the neckline of the garment, with slanted seams from the armhole to the neck.
- n. A garment, such as an overcoat or a sweater, that has raglan sleeves.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of loose overcoat, having very full sleeves, or a sort of cape covering the arms, worn about 1855 and later.
- adj. Continuing in one piece up to the neck of a garment, without a shoulder seam.
- adj. Having sleeves of this type.
- n. An overcoat with sleeves of this type.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A loose overcoat with large sleeves; -- named after Lord Raglan, an English general who was an aide-de-camp to Wellington at Waterlooo.
- n. An overcoat with raglan sleeves.
- n. a garment (coat or sweater) that has raglan sleeves
- Named after Lord Raglan (1788–1855), a British commander in the Crimean War. (Wiktionary)
- After Fitzroy James Henry Somerset (1788-1855), First Baron Raglan, British field marshal. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Where I grew up a raglan is a type of sweater (jumper to Brits) with a particular style of shoulder seam.”
“I do agree, Knititch, that knitting a circular raglan is fun because of the way it goes faster and faster.”
“Seriously, the beauty of a top-down raglan is that you can try it on as you go and make fit decisions on the fly.”
“Amy DeVoogd Here's an easy solution: a quilted nylon barn jacket with a boxy cut and loose or raglan sleeves.”
“I have a slight stoop at my back neck, so I jammed a bunch of short rows in the back section of the yoke between the raglan lines.”
“Consider narrow Henley-collar knit tops with angled raglan sleeves, which are roomier for muscular guys.”
“Wearing his tweed overcoat with its raglan sleeves and a narrow-brimmed hat, brim down, Dick was Jimmy Stewart or Cary Grant in a Hitchcock movie.”
“Nice simple things like mittens and hats, with the odd jumper (mindless raglan in the round) thrown in for good measure.”
“It took only 2 and a half days from start to finish and is really just a little raglan jumper with a (slightly) fancy bottom.”
“Ski masks (balaclavas), cardigan sweaters and raglan sleeve coats are in fact fashion legacies of the Crimean War.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘raglan’.
The list of Wordnik words of the day.
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
thunderfuck, incredible, merp, sara, flopparoo, smother, fugly, buer, plum, canny, nefelibata, cuntbucket and 2455 more...
For those who wish no words were ever forgotten
Words taken from Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.
All the words from the cover of the Wordnik notebook.
A few words appear twice: frass, cruet, luna, thalweg, and possibly some more.
Careful: Contains spoilers!
For stuff to simply reside.
Do as your mom says and put on a jacket.
Words gathered while reading Speak, Memory by Vladimir Nabokov.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
several of these characters seem to have been involved in the Crimean War
A list from the 1911 edition of "Words: Their Spelling, Pronunciation, Definition, Application" by the Gregg Publishing Company.
words that derive from personal names, though you might not have guessed it
Looking for tweets for raglan.