from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Mexican herdsman's hut.
- n. A village of these huts.
- n. Southwestern U.S. A rural Native American settlement.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A dwelling place of a ranchero.
- n. A small settlement or collection of ranchos, or rude huts, esp. for Indians.
- n. Formerly, in the Philippines, a political division of the pagan tribes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Mexico, the dwelling-place of a ranchero or of rancheros; a herdsman's hut, or a village of herders; hence, a settlement, more or less permanent, of Indians.
American Spanish ranchería, from rancho, small farm; see ranch.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)