from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to a rear guard.
- adj. Of or relating to economic, political, or social resistance: mounting a rear-guard effort to prevent tax increases.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of, or relating to a rearguard
- adj. of, or relating to resistance in politics etc
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Part of an army detached during a march for the protection of the rear, especially in retreating when the attacks of a pursuing enemy are feared.
Sorry, no etymologies found.