American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A false or slanderous story used for political advantage.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fictitious story published for political effect; a “campaign lie.”
- n. Alternative form of roorbach.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. U.S. A defamatory forgery or falsehood published for purposes of political intrigue.
- After Baron von Roorback, imaginary author of Roorback's Tour Through the Western and Southern States, from which a passage was purportedly quoted in an attempt to disparage presidential candidate James K. Polk in 1844. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Defined literally, a roorback is a “defamatory falsehood published for political effect,” but I wanted the grand old word to stand for all the defamations and falsehoods published and proffered in our irreverent media age.”
“Thornton has traced bolter to 1812, filibuster to 1863, roorback to 1844, and split-ticket to 1842.”
“Dorgan knows how to make the best use of such a roorback on the eve of an election and even if”
“McLoughlin knows how to make the best use of such a roorback on the eve of an election, and even if I not only deny but prove that they are a fake, I'm afraid the harm will be done.”
“Elizur Wright purchased a Whig paper, and seeing a statement in it concerning the Free-soil candidate which he believed from internal evidence to be untrue, he said quite loud: "Well! this is the finest roorback I have met with.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘roorback’.
More words for intermediate and advanced spellers.
Names for the next generation of My Little Ponies. Inspired by Star's list.
For words beginning with ro-.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
All the words from the Grandiloquent Dictionary.
946 of these 2700 words do not yield any results in six different dictionaries, hence many of them might be misspellings.
Hopefully, I'll be using this site for more than one year. It will be fun then to look back and see what new words I found worthy of notice in any given year.
All words spotted in 2008...
Looking for tweets for roorback.