American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Slang Gossip; rumor.
- n. Nautical A drinking fountain on a ship.
- n. Nautical A cask on a ship used to hold the day's supply of drinking water.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Nautical, a cask or butt having a scuttle or hole cut in it for the introduction of a cup or dipper, and used to hold drinking-water. Also called scuttle-cask.
- n. nautical, countable A butt with a scuttle, a keg of drinking water with a hole cut in it, on board ship.
- n. informal, uncountable Gossip, rumour, idle chatter.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Naut.) a butt or cask with a large hole in it, used to contain the fresh water for daily use in a ship.
- n. See scuttle butt.
- n. A drinking fountain on board a ship or at a naval station.
- n. The latest gossip; rumors.
- n. a report (often malicious) about the behavior of other people
- scuttle + butt. In sense of gossip, because sailors would gather around the scuttlebutt to drink and exchange gossip; compare water cooler and furphy. (Wiktionary)
- scuttle1 + butt5. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The scuttlebutt is that the RNC might step in a help pay off those debts.”
“So the latest scuttlebutt is that Google and Dell are getting together and bashing out the first Android phone.”
“They refuse to give me firm data, but the scuttlebutt is that AT&T is doing likewise.”
“" As far as why the junta-connected were so interested in adopting children, the scuttlebutt is that the military culture of 1970s Argentina involved lots of visits to prostitutes.”
“Okay, so, the scuttlebutt is writers should stay in touch with their readers.”
“UPDATE: Oh, I totally forgot, but the scuttlebutt is that Hotel Chevalier will be available for free download on the iTunes music store sometime today.”
“Such details fall into the category of "scuttlebutt" - which is another term for "urban legend".”
“But that’s just scuttlebutt from the Way, Way Out Left. datingjesus”
“That doesn’t mean the soap won’t try, but the scuttlebutt is that when David stops shooting in March, Adam will leave Pine Valley alive.”
“The scuttlebutt is that after back-to-back flops from the director, this Friday’s release puts him in a make or break situation.”
Happening May Be Shyamalan’s Last Stand : SF Universe - SF Universe is your Science Fiction central. From SciFi television to movies to books and more. All the latest news, reviews and insights from SciFi experts.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘scuttlebutt’.
Fun words my friend loves and others I introduced to him.
Words that have with subtly different meanings from other words.
This is a list of my favourite words (phrases) in english, as a second language. I love them mostly because of how they sound and their meaning.
Just plain fun to say and wonder about their origins.
A list of words whose meanings I am learning, either because a) I don't know the meaning b) I know the meaning, but could stand to better appreciate certain inflections or secondary meanings or c) ...
Looking for tweets for scuttlebutt.