from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A frame with legs, used to support pieces of wood being sawed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A device used to temporarily raise and support pieces of material (for example, timber), especially during cutting with a saw or similar device.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of rack, shaped like a double St. Andrew's cross, on which sticks of wood are laid for sawing by hand; -- called also buck, and sawbuck.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A support or rack for holding wood while it is cut by a wood-saw. Also called sawbuck or buck.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a framework for holding wood that is being sawed
"A sawhorse is a thing they saw boards on," remarked Jim, with a sniff.
Hickman had come up with the idea in 1961 after damaging a pricey Swedish armchair from Heal's while using it as an improvised sawhorse.
At the centennial, they segued into an old sawhorse: John Lennon's "Imagine."
Visiting the Google headquarters, he was taken aback by the scene: people working at haphazardly placed sawhorse desks and the director of engineering, Urs Hölzle, playing a high-tech game of fetch with his huge dog, making the floppy beast chase the beam of a laser pointer.
Charlie was seated behind his desk, an unpainted door held up on one end by a sawhorse and the other by a chipped file cabinet.
If need be, bolt it to a short 2x12 piece of lumber and set it across a folding sawhorse.
The cabinet was several inches shorter than the sawhorse, and so a book entitled Colonoscopic Procedures had been wedged underneath.
Behind his shoulder, on the edge of the sawhorse, I could make out a small roofline.
In a few days you'll probably see a stack of those sawhorse barricades with lights and a few road signs stacked nearby as well.
The desk is made up of sawhorse legs, which you can buy and custom-make a top in the material and size of your choice.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.