American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Having three unequal sides. Used of triangles.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In mathematics, having three sides unequal: noting a triangle so constructed. A cone or cylinder is also said to be scalene when its axis is inclined to its base, but in this case the epithet oblique is more frequently used. See also cut under
- In anatomy: Obliquely situated and unequal-sided, as a muscle: specifically said of the scaleni. See scalenus.
- Pertaining to a scalene muscle.
- n. A scalene triangle.
- n. One of the scalene muscles. See scalenus.
- adj. geometry, of a triangle Having each of its three sides of different lengths.
- n. A scalene muscle.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Having the sides and angles unequal; -- said of a triangle.
- adj. Having the axis inclined to the base, as a cone.
- adj. Designating several triangular muscles called
- adj. Of or pertaining to the scalene muscles.
- n. (Geom.) A triangle having its sides and angles unequal.
- adj. of or relating to any of the scalene muscles
- adj. of a triangle having three sides of different lengths
- Late Latin scalēnus, from Greek skalēnos, from skallein, to hoe, stir up. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The real elements are two triangles, the rectangular isosceles which has but one form, and the most beautiful of the many forms of scalene, which is half of an equilateral triangle.”
“When Owen closed his eyes, he could see them doing it, one blonde and the other red-headed, climbing up and down walls in faultless scalene triangles, counting every step.”
“How can anyone say that a scalene and an equilateral are really the same "kind"!”
“Overhead, a jigsaw puzzle of scalene triangles zigs and zags along the ceiling.”
“Below, the earth is platted into odd geometrical shapes: scalene triangles and parallelograms of umber, dun and ochre.”
“The faces of the first three of these are composed of equilateral triangles, and each face is itself composed of six elemental (scalene) half equilateral right-angled triangles, whose sides are in a proportion of”
“The triangle as such has three angles (a constitutive property), it has three sides (a consecutive property, one that is somehow included in the object's constitutive properties), but it is neither scalene nor non-scalene, neither green nor non-green etc.”
“In essence, it does because it contains the vital antioxidants scalene, flavonoids, and polyphenols at a minimum.”
“June 23, 2008 at 12:19 pm yu is scalene gnu hyts wiv tehse puns!”
“October 27th, 2005 at 2: 31 pm scalene says: unfortunately, despite this welcome sign of “weakness”, Bush is still the one who has the power to shape the court.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘scalene’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Logos wishes to re-name himself. Please suggest suitable names even though you do not know him.
Words that, like my name, end in -ene. Excluding strictly chemical names.
Concepts o' dem numblurs; polysemy mathematicalia.
favorite words. some are made up injokes between me and my husband or family.
a collection of words we study in pre-algebra
Une liste de mots trouvÃ©s au fil de mes lectures.
Souvent sauvegardÃ© au dos sur la derniÃ¨re page blanche.
Looking for tweets for scalene.