from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A round dance in 2/4 time.
- n. A piece of music for this dance.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A partnered country dance of Bohemian origin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A variety of polka.
- n. Music for such a dance or in its rhythm.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. music performed for dancing the schottische
- n. a German round dance resembling a slow polka
German, from schottisch, Scottish, from Middle High German schottesch, from schotte, a Scot, from Old High German scotto, from Late Latin Scottus, Irishman.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
French schottish, schotisch, from German schottisch ("Scottish, Scotch"). (Wiktionary)