from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A servant employed to do menial tasks in a kitchen.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Servant of lower class.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A scallion.
- n. A servant who cleans pots and kettles, and does other menial services in the kitchen.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A servant who cleans pots and kettles, and does other menial service in the kitchen or scullery.
- n. A low, disreputable, mean fellow.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a kitchen servant employed to do menial tasks (especially washing)
Middle English sculyon, probably from Old French escouvillon, dishcloth, diminutive of escouve, broom, from Latin scōpa, branches, broom.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)