from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An eastern North American hickory tree (Carya ovata) having shaggy bark, pinnately compound leaves, and hard-shelled nuts with edible seeds. Also called shellbark.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A North-American hickory (Carya ovata) that has shaggy bark; shagbark hickory
- n. A West Indian leguminous tree, Pithecolobium micradenium.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The West Indian Pithecolobium micradenium, a legiminous tree with a red coiled-up pod.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of hickory, Hicoria ovata (Carya alba), which yields the best hickory-nuts. Also called shellbark (which see), and shagbark walnut.
- n. Same as savonette, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. North American hickory having loose grey shaggy bark and edible nuts
Sorry, no etymologies found.