from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A tool for sifting, especially one for powdered cooking ingredients.
- n. One who sifts.
- n. Any lamellirostral bird, as a duck or goose, so called because it sifts or strains its food from the water and mud by means of the lamellae of the beak.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, sifts.
- n. Any lamellirostral bird, as a duck or goose; -- so called because it sifts or strains its food from the water and mud by means of the lamell� of the beak.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who sifts, in any sense; especially, one employed in the operation of sifting loose matter.
- n. A sieve, particularly one differing in form and use from the common sieve, as for sorting matter of differing sizes, sifting ashes from partly burned coal, or the like.
- n. plural Specifically, in ornithology, the lamellirostral birds, as ducks and geese; sievebeaks.
- n. In milling and baking, a machine for sifting flour preparatory to blending it or using it in baking. It consists of a sieve inclosed in a casing and fitted with a cylindrical brush which, revolving above the sieve, breaks up all the lumps and presses the flour through the sieve.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a household sieve (as for flour)
Sorry, no etymologies found.