from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. Basketball To make a slam dunk.
- transitive v. Basketball To shoot (the ball) in a slam dunk.
- transitive v. To make a forceful dramatic move against (another): "They've stopped slam-dunking each other and begun designing strategies with the ... aim of moving those on welfare into decent jobs” ( David L. Kirp).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative form of slam dunk.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make a forceful move against
- v. make a slam dunk; shoot a basketball in a slam dunk
Sorry, no etymologies found.
As Josh Marshall notes, it's not a slam-dunk that Mr. Specter will be the Democratic nominee for the Senate in 2010.
As a bowhunter i only take slam-dunk shots, so i would be confident i could find him.
Balsillie says he has had briefings with company chief information officers and "this is hands-down, slam-dunk what they're looking for."
Absolutely, positively, slam-dunk perfect for this story.
He'll do so May 28 at his school by hosting 24 of the area's top prospects for a 3-point-shooting exhibition, slam-dunk contest and all-star game, with all proceeds benefiting the American Cancer Society.
My bottom line: based on existing law, this is an interesting case, but while it's not a slam-dunk for either side, the better argument is that the ad does not constitute "fair use."
"We should have had some ownership of this campaign, but the political leadership in queens presumed it would be a slam-dunk," said a prominent city labor leader.
On the other hand, Cheniere's deal isn't a slam-dunk for everyone.
Whistleblower attorneys agree that there is no such thing as a "slam-dunk" case.
But this show about yeast cells fighting for survival in the primordial soup where life began on earth is so offbeat you quickly realize it's hardly some slam-dunk commercial project and earns its fringe-iness fairly.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.