American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Slates for covering roofs, walls, or other surfaces.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Baiting.
- n. An unsparing criticism; a severe reprimand.
- n. The operation of covering roofs with slates.
- n. A roofing of slates.
- n. Slates taken collectively; the material for slating: as, the whole slating of a house.
- n. A liquid preparation for coating blackboards so that they may be marked upon with chalk or steatite: generally called liquid slating. Such preparations are better than oil-paint, as they do not glaze the surface.
- v. present participle of slate.
- n. Slates collectively.
- n. Material for slating.
- n. informal A harsh criticism.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of covering with slate, slates, or a substance resembling slate; the work of a slater.
- n. Slates, collectively; also, material for slating.
- n. the act of laying slates for a roof
- n. a severely critical attack
- n. thin layers of rock used for roofing
“He took great pleasure in slating her for her affair with John Major and her ministerial career (although he seemed a bit short of detail on the latter).”
“I have in old days given to a few novels (though, of course, only when they richly deserved it) what is called a "slating" -- an”
“MI & FL can do all the posturing they want by 'slating' delegates for Denver, but they're as relevant as their shadows until the rules are changed.”
“A widowed sister-in-law looks after his house for him and her sons manage the business of slating which is connected with the trade in slate and is scarcely inferior to it in size.”
“Alexis Petridis's slating of the new Viva Brother album won some interesting responses.”
“This reminds me a little of when one of the actress from freddy vs jason started slating the film before it even came out.”
“One of the five Court Justices is my favorite, Judge Ann Burke, who is married to the very powerful Ward Boss, Alderman Ed Burke, chairman of the Cook County's Democratic Judicial slating committee, i. e. picks the party's judges for the ballot, who strongly favors Rahm's opponent Gery Chico.”
“I think about how I talk with my husband, the jokes I make about him being Irish, the slating I get from him for being from Manchester.”
“Elsewhere it reports: "We noted one or two tabbed slates indicating that the slating nails are now beginning to reach the end of their serviceable life and whilst re-covering the roof is not considered essential, as repairs become more frequent it may prove cost effective to re-cover this roof within the next 10-15 years.”
“If by slating but not naming the Daily Mail, the watchdog thought it could escape the Wrath of Dacre, it was mistaken.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘slating’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Looking for tweets for slating.