from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. In a soft manner; gently.
- adv. Not loudly; nearly inaudible.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. In a soft manner.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Soft; easy; gentle; slow.
- In a soft manner.
- Gently; slowly; calmly; quietly; hence, at an easy pace: as, to lay a thing down softly.
- Mildly; tenderly.
- Slackly; carelessly.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. with low volume
- adv. used as a direction in music; to be played relatively softly
- adv. in a manner that is pleasing to the senses
- adv. with little weight or force
From Middle English softely, softeliche, equivalent to soft + -ly. (Wiktionary)