American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A volcanic area that gives off sulfurous gases and steam.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An area of more or less corroded and disintegrated volcanic rock, over which sulphurous gases, steam, and other volcanic emanations escape through various orifices, frequently giving rise to what are known as mud-volcanoes, mud-cones, or salses; a region of dying or dormant volcanism.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Geol.) A volcanic area or vent which yields only sulphur vapors, steam, and the like. It represents the stages of the volcanic activity.
- From Solfatara, the name of a volcano near Naples, from Italian solfo ("sulphur"). (Wiktionary)
- Italian, from solfo, sulfur, from Latin sulfur. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Dr. Bishop collecting samples from the solfatara site inside Kilauea caldera, Hawaii.”
“Dr. Bishop testing magnetic properties of soil at the solfatara site inside Kilauea caldera, Hawaii.”
“You can see Dr. Bishop collecting samples at the solfatara site inside Kilauea caldera, Hawaii, in the the photo to the right.”
“But after a few brittle steps he broke through a layer of burnt-yellow crust and fell into a solfatara, a cauldron of bubbling mud.”
“In the center of the depression are the Sulphur Springs, a geothermal field or solfatara with sulphurous fumaroles and hot springs surrounded by a variety of other volcanic features: explosion craters, lava flows and deposits of pumice and ash.”
“There is wetland vegetation in marshes and beside lakes; and on the acid soil near sulphurous fumaroles there is a solfatara community.”
“AGI - Naples, Sept. 19 - The miracle of San Gennaro's blood that liquefies happened again in the cathedral of Naples during the feast of the Patron Saint, which is the anniversary of the martyrdom which took place in 305 A.C. at the Pozzuoli solfatara.”
“A flip-down visor was useful if you encountered any of the really dire conditions Cravat sometimes vouchsafed — acid hail, flocks of kamikaze hat pin bugs, even moderate amounts of fire and brimstone in the solfatara lands.”
“Popocatepetl, is in the condition of a _solfatara_, sending out jets of steam and sulphurous acid gas.”
“A few years back, the volcano used to send up showers of ashes, and even large stones; but now it has sunk to the condition of a mere _solfatara_, sending out, from two crevices in the floor, great volumes of sulphurous acid and steam, with a loud roaring noise.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘solfatara’.
More words for intermediate and advanced spellers.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
just plain hot
Unusual weather and environmental phenomena.
Looking for tweets for solfatara.