from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A common North American sparrow (Melospiza melodia) having streaked brownish plumage and noted for its melodious song.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a very common North American sparrow (Melospiza fasciata, or Melospiza melodia) noted for the sweetness of its song in early spring. Its breast is covered with dusky brown streaks which form a blotch in the center.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The hedge-sparrow, Accentor modularis. See cut under Accentor.
- n. A small fringilline bird of North America, of the genus Melospiza, a sweet songster, with a streaked brown, gray, and white plumage without any yellow.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small songbird common in North America
Sorry, no etymologies found.