from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A bar at the bottom of the keyboard of a typewriter or computer that when pressed down introduces a horizontal space into text, as between words.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A key, in the shape of a bar, near the bottom of a keyboard, that generates a space character when pressed

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • A bar or key, in a typewriter, typesetting machine, or other keyboard (as a computer keyboard), used to insert a space between letters.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. Same as spacer, 2.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. the bar-shaped typewriter key that introduces spaces when used


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Sorry, no example sentences found.

Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.