American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An apparatus for making yarn or thread, consisting of a foot-driven or hand-driven wheel and a single spindle.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A machine for spinning wool, cotton, or flax into threads by hand. It consists of a wheel, band, and spindle, and is driven by foot or hy hand. Before the introduction of machinery for spinning there were two kinds of spinning-wheels in common use—the largewheel for spinning wool and cotton, and the small or Saxson wheel for spinning flax. The girdle-wheel was a spinning-wheel formerly in use, small enough to be fastened to a girdle or apron-string, and used while standing or walking about.
- n. a domestic device for making yarn or thread; having a single spindle and a wheel driven by hand or foot
GNU Webster's 1913
- a machine for spinning yarn or thread, in which a wheel drives a single spindle, and is itself driven by the hand, or by the foot acting on a treadle.
- n. a small domestic spinning machine with a single spindle that is driven by hand or foot
“There was a random aspect to the game — a spinning wheel and dice determined plagues and famines and earthquakes and the like; this was the quickest fix, replaced by computerized random choice — but most of the action was generated by decisions and reactions that the players made, by their aggressions and their lust, their treaties and their double-crosses, their clashes and battles and betrayals.”
“She put aside the bolt of cotton cloth from which she was cutting shirts for the boys and their father-the spinning wheel and loom had fallen into disuse in most of the homes of Virginia since cotton goods could be manufactured so cheaply in the north-and examined her youngest son.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘spinning wheel’.
This list is basically an excuse for me to list the word wool four times in a row.
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
Words relating to the gentle art of making yarn.
Looking for tweets for spinning wheel.