from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An apparatus for making yarn or thread, consisting of a foot-driven or hand-driven wheel and a single spindle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a domestic device for making yarn or thread; having a single spindle and a wheel driven by hand or foot
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- a machine for spinning yarn or thread, in which a wheel drives a single spindle, and is itself driven by the hand, or by the foot acting on a treadle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A machine for spinning wool, cotton, or flax into threads by hand.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small domestic spinning machine with a single spindle that is driven by hand or foot
Sorry, no etymologies found.