from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. a preparatory order, equivalent to Be ready.
- n. One who, or that which, stands by one in need; something upon which one relies for constant use or in an emergency.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which stands by one.
- n. A nautical signal to be in readiness. See stand by , under stand.
- Standing; fixed. See the extract.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. not act or do anything
- v. be available or ready for a certain function or service
- v. be loyal to
- n. an actor able to replace a regular performer when required
- adj. ready for emergency use
- n. something that can be relied on when needed
Sorry, no etymologies found.