from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, stands by one in need; something upon which one relies for constant use or in an emergency.
- intransitive v. a preparatory order, equivalent to Be ready.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Standing; fixed. See the extract.
- n. One who or that which stands by one.
- n. A nautical signal to be in readiness. See stand by , under stand.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an actor able to replace a regular performer when required
- adj. ready for emergency use
- n. something that can be relied on when needed
- v. not act or do anything
- v. be available or ready for a certain function or service
- v. be loyal to
Sorry, no etymologies found.
There is simply not enough room in a normal home for all this gear to be on ready stand-by to go.
Australia have put Usman Khawaja on stand-by in case Michael Clarke fails to recover from injury for the first Ashes Test
Instead, most companies either kept their rigs on stand-by or kept them busy with jobs that weren't covered by the moratorium, such as cleaning up old wells.
Cain took the suggestions to heart, denying all allegations and falling back on the old stand-by, "we were just friends."
So I figured between the description and the name -- given neither of us drink any more -- it could be a nice stand-by.
The IMF has said it is open to moving its Greek loan program from its stand-by lending facility, which usually has a three-year repayment schedule, to its extended fund facility, which is for repayments up to 10 years.
If you're after big game, such as a sofa, arrange beforehand to have a truck or a moving service on stand-by.
The new regulations also address "vampire power" issues—devices that draw electricity even when set to "off" or "stand-by."
He says this has led to major problems because the bookings they had been receiving were all put on stand-by.
But, while it is at the shop, I am using the old stand-by computer from 5 years ago and discovering the joy of files long forgotten.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.