from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various instruments used for listening to sounds produced within the body.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A medical instrument used for listening to sounds produced within the body, often combined with a sphygmomanometer
- v. To auscultate, or examine, with a stethoscope.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument used in auscultation for examining the organs of the chest, as the heart and lungs, by conveying to the ear of the examiner the sounds produced in the thorax.
- transitive v. To auscultate, or examine, with a stethoscope.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An instrument used in auscultation to convey the sounds from the chest or other part of the patient to the ear of the observer.
- To examine by means of a stethoscope.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a medical instrument for listening to the sounds generated inside the body
French stéthoscope : Greek stēthos, chest + French -scope, an instrument for viewing (from Latin -scopium; see -scope).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From stetho- + -scope. (Wiktionary)