Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To hunt stealthily; stalk; lie in ambush for.
- To hunt without making a noise; pursue game stealthily or under cover.
- n. A hunt for game carried on by stalking or from ambush.
- n. In politics, a secret canvass carried on somewhat after the methods of a still-hunt for game, with precautions against publicity.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A hunting for game in a quiet and cautious manner, or under cover; stalking; hence, colloquially, the pursuit of any object quietly and cautiously.
- n. a hunt for game carried on by following it stealthily or waiting in ambush
- v. hunt (quarry) by stalking and ambushing
“I mostly still-hunt, but try to sit tight when other hunters are moving - I think deer are aware of our presence, but really only react to noise and movement.”
“Also have two or more spots in mind so when your toes get cold you can pick up the stool and still-hunt to the next place, sorta like a bass fisherman, he doesn't fish in only one spot on the lake.”
“I hunt all of my first day in a stand, then the next few days I start the morning in a stand, then still-hunt or do a drive, then spend the last hour or two in a stand.”
“A draw permit is required during the first 13 and last 17 days of the still-hunt season, but the four weeks in between are wide open-as are the archery and muzzleloader seasons.”
“You need a basic level of aerobic fitness so you don't drop halfway through a 5-mile still-hunt.”
“For all-around use, 8X is a good choice; 10X is fine if you hunt a lot of open terrain; and 6X is not too small if you still-hunt big woods.”
“This tactic not only gives bucks time to bed down for the day, but it also allows enough light for you to quietly still-hunt to your stand.”
“On the other hand, if you're likely to hunt in high winds, to stalk or still-hunt game in rugged country, or to sit where branches could snag on your arrow, a capture rest like Carolina Archery Products 'Whisker Biscuit ($36 – $66; 919-245-1400; carolinaarcheryprod. com) will keep your arrow ready at all times and provide the confidence that comes from using no-fail equipment, with sufficient accuracy and silence for almost any game.”
“During the first week, plan ambushes or still-hunt for bulls at passes and saddles and near game trails leading to higher, more remote country.”
“You can also still-hunt along the way to your ambush.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘still-hunt’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
More randomly-garnered terms from the world of words that don't quite yet fit into my other lists.
Looking for tweets for still-hunt.