from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A condition marked by slow, painful urination, caused by muscular spasms of the urethra and bladder.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A frequent need to urinate, when the bladder is largely empty or with little urine production.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A painful discharge of urine, drop by drop, produced by spasmodic muscular contraction.
- n. A swelling or other disease in a plant, occasioned by a ligature fastened tightly about it.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Scanty micturition with painful sense of spasm.
- n. In horticulture, a disease in plants produced by tight ligatures.
Middle English, from Latin strangūria, from Greek strangouriā : stranx, strang-, drop, trickle + -ouriā, -uria.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)