from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A stout Australian plant (Helichrysum bracteatum) having flower heads with showy, variously colored bracts that retain their color when dried.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of many Australian plants, of the genus Helichrysum, having deep yellow flowers than can be readily dried
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various plants of the genus Helipterum
- n. plant of southern and southeastern United States grown for its yellow flowers that can be dried
- n. Australian plant naturalized in Spain having flowers of lemon yellow to deep gold; the frequent choice of those who love dried flowers
Sorry, no etymologies found.
She was carrying her overnight case and a basket of dried flowers-statice, strawflower, and immortelle in the pastel colors referred to in seed catalogues as "art shades": fawn, apricot, mauve, and pale yellow.
In one corner, yellow strawflower, purple bacopa and purple superbells draw attention in a deep-blue pot.
The materials included black onion seed, coconut flakes, strawflower petals, green split peas, cornhusks and kiwi vines.
· Bedding plants: Plants that perform better in the cooler months include petunias, pansies, verbena, dianthus, strawflower and lobelia.
As my nose moves from close-up inspection of Oud 27 to far-away admiration, I smell honey, rose, a strawflower aroma, ambergris, and the scent of leather - all blending with oud.
The 21 large sculpted roses that comprise the bouquet on top of the championship bowl are covered with red, bronze, yellow, white, light pink and dark pink strawflower; lavender, hot pink and dark purple statice; everlasting; lentil seed, clover seed, cinnamon and lentil.
The rose logo and decorative roses on the walls of the bowl are made of dark and light pink strawflower on stems of onion seed and parsley flake leaves.
Flowering Details: The sides of the Bayer Advanced We Are The Champions Rose Parade float are covered with silver leaf, accented by fine cut white strawflower and everlasting, lettuce seeds, eucalyptus leaves and white button mums.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.