from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A taxonomic subdivision of a species consisting of an interbreeding, usually geographically isolated population of organisms.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A rank in the classification of organisms, below species
- n. A taxon at that rank
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A group somewhat lessdistinct than speciesusually are, but based on characters more important than those which characterize ordinary varieties; often, a geographical variety or race.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In zoology and botany, a variety of a species; a climatic or geographical race recognizably different from another, yet not specifically distinguished; a conspecies.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (biology) a taxonomic group that is a division of a species; usually arises as a consequence of geographical isolation within a species
Sorry, no etymologies found.