from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Resting or lying immediately above or on something else.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Positioned immediately above or on top of something else; overlying
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Situated immediately above.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Lying above or upon; superincumbent: the opposite of subjacent.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. lying immediately above or on something else
Latin superiacēns, superiacent-, present participle of superiacēre, to lie over : super-, super- + iacēre, to lie down; see yē- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin superjacens, p.pr. of superjacere; super above + jacere to lie. (Wiktionary)