American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Fine metallic filings or shavings removed by a cutting tool.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To faint; swoon.
- n. Stupor; a fainting-fit; a swoon.
- n. The grit mixed with particles of iron or steel worn away in grinding cutlery wet.
- n. the waste chips or shavings from metalworking or a saw cutting wood
- n. the grit worn away by use of a grindstone or whetstone, being particles of the material being cut and of the cutting stone itself
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. Scot. To grow languid; to faint.
- n. Prov. Eng. The grit worn away from grindstones in grinding cutlery wet.
- 1565, from Middle English *swerf, from Old English geswearf, gesweorf; akin to Old English sweorfan (modern English swerve), from Proto-Germanic. (Wiktionary)
- Of Scandinavian origin; akin to Old Norse svarf. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“But other waste streams pose bigger challenges, like this stuff called swarf (ph).”
“Like this stuff, called swarf, a mixture of metals shavings and liquid.”
“But other waste streams pose bigger challenges like this stuff, called swarf, a mixture of metal shavings and liquids.”
“Leveraging aluminum recyclability without property loss, Alcan and Airbus have also engaged into a full recycling program committing to reclaim a significant proportion of the aluminium chips (i.e. "swarf") generated during manufacturing.”
“I use a small "super" magnet (about the size of a thumbnail) as a tool to catch swarf when i am drilling steel/iron etc ... madjack1987”
“Behind each man the corn swarf lay like silk in the light of the poppies.”
“And the women gathered the swarf by armfuls, spun bants of straw and tied in armfuls into sheaves, stacked sheaves into kivvers.”
“I use a small "super" magnet about the size of a thumbnail as a tool to catch swarf when i am drilling steel / iron etc...”
“BRADBURN: This swarf was getting landfilled up until a few years ago.”
“Moreover, the evil reputation of the master, and his strange and doubtful end, or at least sudden disappearance, prevented any, excepting the most desperate of men, to seek any advice or opinion from the servant; wherefore, the poor vermin was likely at first to swarf for very hunger.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘swarf’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
for the same
Yes. Yes it does.
List of items never for sale on craigslist.
Should you find one of these for sale, let us know. We'll scare you up a coupon for a free day at a gym or something.
All the words from the Grandiloquent Dictionary.
946 of these 2700 words do not yield any results in six different dictionaries, hence many of them might be misspellings.
A list of words whose meanings I am learning, either because a) I don't know the meaning b) I know the meaning, but could stand to better appreciate certain inflections or secondary meanings or c) ...
These are words that I enjoy because they are unique, rare, long, or just cool.
words in the nature of double spirals
Looking for tweets for swarf.