from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The transmission of sound between distant stations, especially by radio or telephone.
- n. The technology and manufacture of telephone equipment.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of sound transmission via the electromagnetic spectrum.
- n. The study and application of telephone technology.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The art or process of reproducing sounds at a distance, as with the telephone.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The operation or art of telephoning, or reproducing sounds, especially articulate speech, at a distance from their source.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. transmitting speech at a distance
From telephone + -y. (Wiktionary)