American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A book used in schools or colleges for the formal study of a subject.
- adj. Being a characteristic example of its kind; classic: a textbook case of schizophrenia.
- n. A coursebook, a formal manual of instruction in a specific subject, especially one for use in schools or colleges.
- adj. Of or pertaining to textbooks or their style, especially in being dry and pedagogical; textbooky, textbooklike.
- adj. Having the typical characteristics of some class of phenomenon, so that it might be included as an example in a textbook.
“This textbook is arranged in 15 lessons that promise to teach the reader “the foundations of visual storytelling”.”
“John Barrie, the creator of a leading plagiarism-recognition system, claimed he found at least three instances of what he calls textbook plagiarism in the leggy blond pundit's Godless: the Church of Liberalism" after he ran the book's text through the company's digital iThenticate program.”
“* More than half of the bundled textbooks surveyed (55 percent) were not available for students to purchase a la carte, in which the textbook is available without the add-on materials.”
“Being schooled in scientific practice, they believe that in dealing with prayer as a phenomenon they should scrupulously follow the formulas outlined in the Bible which they described as the textbook of spiritual science.”
“Did you ever read what they call their textbook, 'Science and Health?”
“Archdiocese spokesman Joe Zwilling said Dolan acknowledged the victims in the letter, which he called a textbook example of how to deal with a priest-abuser.”
“Readers today have been conditioned to believe that a writer cribbing off his/her textbook is capturing the same animal once known as creativity.”
“Ray Pierrehumbert's excellent textbook is free online.”
“Or because he had read an old textbook from the 50s, possibly.”
“FENSTON: The textbook is called "Our Virginia" and its one of three state-approved history texts for fourth graders.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘textbook’.
A collection of book words.
Words that have been smashed together.
Very basic words for ESL students.
Looking for tweets for textbook.