Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- On this (present) day; as, he leaves to-day. Compare to-morrow.
- At the present time; in these days.
- n. This present day: as, to-day is Monday.
- n. This present time; the present age: as, the events of to-day.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adv. On this day; on the present day.
- n. The present day.
- adv. in these times
- n. the day that includes the present moment (as opposed to yesterday or tomorrow)
- n. the present time or age
- adv. on this day as distinct from yesterday or tomorrow
“And since Thy years fail not, 22 Thy years are one to-day, How many of ours and our fathers years have flowed away through Thy to-day, and from it received the measure and the mould of such being as they had; and still others shall flow away, and so receive the mould of their degree of being.”
“It was for to-day -- _to-day_; and she was perhaps too late.”
“I hope so, Bud; but why don't you do it _to-day_?" she called back, saying to herself, as Johnny broke into a canter, "As if poor Bud ever could do anything to-day!”
“MacDonagh called to-day.12 Very sad about Ireland.”
“Thousands of years of effort to throw off their nigrescence have failed to eradicate those race characteristics, and the Jew of to-day is essentially Negro in habits, physical peculiarities and tendencies. . .”
“A heavy European drift to the New World has gone on and is going on; yet Europe, whose population a century ago was 170,000,000, has to-day 500,000,000.”
“It did not protest, as to-day it does not protest.”
“Since then, in calm, and fog, and damp, and storm, we have won south until to-day we are almost abreast of the Falklands.”
“When them thirty million dollars stood up to my face and said I couldn't go out with you in the hills to-day, I knew the time had come for me to put my foot down.”
“And on that drift they encountered races who had accomplished the drift before them, and they, the Aryans, passed, in turn, before the drift of other and subsequent races whom we to-day call the Polynesian and the Melanesian.”
Looking for tweets for to-day.