from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang The main comic in a burlesque show.
- n. Slang The head person, as of a group or project.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The boss, the leader.
- n. The principal comedian in a vaudeville or burlesque show.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the leading comedian in a burlesque show
- n. the most important person in a group or undertaking
So called from the presentation of a banana to the comedian who has the punch line in a three-man burlesque routine.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.