American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Slang The main comic in a burlesque show.
- n. Slang The head person, as of a group or project.
- n. idiomatic The boss, the leader.
- n. idiomatic, dated The principal comedian in a vaudeville or burlesque show.
- n. the leading comedian in a burlesque show
- n. the most important person in a group or undertaking
- So called from the presentation of a banana to the comedian who has the punch line in a three-man burlesque routine. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘top banana’.
Here you will find cultivars, of course, but also diseases, dishes, and uses.
The show must go on . . . .
The list name is a tribute to gangerh's Numberie.
pear shaped, upset the applecart, apple-pie order, apple-polisher, grapeshot, cut the melon, plum tired, through the grape..., nuttier than a pe..., apple-of-my-eye, just peachy, cracked the nut and 41 more...
No job is too small.
Words or short phrases with fruit/nut names in them.
My Favorite Words
Looking for tweets for top banana.