from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A belief in totems or in kinship through common affiliation to a totem.
- n. The practice of establishing affiliation through totems.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The belief that a person or group has a special mystical relationship to a totem
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The system of distinguishing families, clans, etc., in a tribe by the totem.
- n. Superstitious regard for a totem; the worship of any real or imaginary object; nature worship.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The system of tribal subdivision denoted by totems; the use of totems, with all the social and religious observances connected with them; the constitution of society as marked by these observances.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. belief in the kinship of a group of people with a common totem
totem + -ism (Wiktionary)