American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A large three-headed muscle running along the back of the upper arm and serving to extend the forearm.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Three-headed; tricipital; specifically, in anatomy, noting certain muscles which arise by three heads.
- n. A tricipital or three-headed muscle, which has a triple origin and proceeds to a single insertion; especially, such a muscle of the fore or hind limb, expressly named as in the following phrases.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Anat.) A muscle having three heads; specif., the great extensor of the forearm, arising by three heads and inserted into the olecranon at the elbow.
- n. any skeletal muscle having three origins (but especially the triceps brachii)
- From Latin trīceps ("triple-headed"), from trēs ("three") + caput ("head"). (Wiktionary)
- From Latin, three-headed : tri-, tri- + caput, head. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“CRUZ: That loose stuff on the back of your arm is called your triceps with maybe a little bit of fat on the top of it.”
“In this case the biceps must exert two units of strength more than the triceps, that is, seven units.”
“The triceps is the powerful muscle on the back of the upper arm that is responsible for straightening the elbow.”
“One of the best exercises for the triceps is the pushdown.”
“In a similar vein, this user comment on the Dante's Inferno official site keeps cracking me up: I legitimately have a tattoo of Dante's Inferno on my triceps.”
“In describing the soreness, Girardi pointed to the back of his own left arm, meaning that the pain was in Feliciano's triceps area.”
“•Offensive line: Assuming he's healed from knee and triceps surgery, perennial Pro Bowl left tackle Chris Samuels will anchor this crew.”
“The aging pop idol has a catalog of songs to envy -- as well as triceps to kill for.”
“After a few days, some of them were complaining of swelling and weakness in their biceps and triceps and discolored urine.”
“The defensive end ruptured his triceps Oct. 24 and the team opted not to place him on the season-ending injured-reserve list in hopes that he might be able to play at some point in the playoffs.”
Looking for tweets for triceps.