from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A turbojet engine in which a fan supplements the total thrust by forcing air directly into the hot turbine exhaust.
- n. An aircraft in which a turbofan is used.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A turbojet engine having a (typically ducted) fan that forces air directly into the hot exhaust and obtains a portion of the thrust from the turbojet and a portion from the turbojet section.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an airplane propelled by a fanjet engine
- n. a jet engine in which a fan driven by a turbine provides extra air to the burner and gives extra thrust
turbo- + fan (Wiktionary)