from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Archaic Not hoped or looked for.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Not hoped for; unexpected.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not hoped or expected.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not hoped or looked for; unexpected; not so probable as to excite hope.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. so unexpected as to have not been imagined
un- + hoped (Wiktionary)