from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, belonging to, or restricted to a limited area or neighborhood; local.
- adj. Relating to or being a local road.
- adj. Mineralogy Approximating, resembling, or taking the place of a fundamental crystalline form or face.
- adj. Chemistry Of or relating to the consecutive positions of substituted elements or radicals on a benzene ring.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to a neighborhood; neighboring.
- adj. Describing identical atoms or groups attached to nearby (especially adjacent) atoms in a molecule.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Near; vicine.
- adj. Having the substituted groups on the same carbon atom.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In organ. chem., noting the proximity, in the molecule of a cyclic compound, of two or more substituting groups or atoms. It is used especially of derivatives of benzene having groups in the positions 1,2,3.
- Near; neighboring. [Rare.]
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. belonging to or limited to a vicinity
Latin vīcīnālis, from vīcīnus, neighboring; see vicinity.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin vīcīnālis. (Wiktionary)