Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In phytogeography, naturalized from a neighboring formation: opposed to adventitious. See adventitious, 4.
- n. A colorless compound, (C8H15O6N3)x, contained in the seeds of the, horse-bean, Vicia faba, V. faba minor, and in the sugar-beet root. It crystallizes in aggregates of needles.
- Same as vicinal.
- n. organic chemistry An alkaloid extracted from the seeds of the vetch (Vicia sativa) as a white crystalline substance.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. rare Near; neighboring; vicinal.
- n. (Chem.) An alkaloid extracted from the seeds of the vetch (Vicia sativa) as a white crystalline substance.
“When they are exposed to two unusual amino-acid relatives vicine and convicine in the beans and in the flower pollen, their bodies metabolize these chemicals to forms that damage their red blood cells and cause serious, sometimes fatal anemia.”
“Gonorrhæa, causing it to cease and stay totally, and correcting the distemper, and the evill ulcerous disposition of the seed vessels, & the vicine parts.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘vicine’.
Words that, despite being rare, are hardly wordied.
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
Terms used in botany
epi- opi- where it is at; also connected virtually or otherwise
Looking for tweets for vicine.