from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A military officer, usually a skilled technician or a helicopter pilot, intermediate in rank between a noncommissioned officer and a commissioned officer, having authority by virtue of a warrant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A member of a military organization having a rank between that of a commissioned and non-commissioned officer
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a noncommissioned officer, as a sergeant, corporal, bandmaster, etc., in the army, or a quartermaster, gunner, boatswain, etc., in the navy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An officer who acts under a warrant from a department of the government, and not from the sovereign or head of the state as in the case of commissioned officers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. holds rank by virtue of a warrant
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.