American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Something whose name has been forgotten or is not known.
- n. a metasyntactic term used for any object whose actual name you don’t know or can’t remember. There are many spellings and many synonyms.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Any object whose name is forgotten, or not known.
- n. something unspecified whose name is either forgotten or not known
- Shortened version of "what you may call it" or "what you might call it". (Wiktionary)
- Alteration of what you may call it. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“November 7, 2008 at 4: 11 pm cayenne, I retrieved the old masthead / leaderboard / title whatchamacallit from the internet archives.”
“Hey, is it my imagination, or is our masthead / leaderboard / title whatchamacallit reverting to the old format?”
“But how about this whatchamacallit that the Miami Marlins will have at their new stadium?”
“A whatchamacallit between mom bloggers and feminist bloggers?”
“Obese repiggies love Jesus, hate gays and eat lard-slathered meaty whatchamacallit at 3500 calories a serving.”
“There's a reason why Apple banked on a line of I-centered (iPod, iPhone, iTunes, soon-to-be iSlate or iTablet or i-whatchamacallit) digital lifestyle products.”
“All he had to do was walk around the whatchamacallit, the circumference of the circle.”
“The other smart move of the remake is putting together a believable military jargon to replace the pointless made-up words of the old series, words like daggit, yahren, and socia-whatchamacallit.”
“The whatchamacallit demonic robot-like thingies somehow reminded me of The Terminator.”
“That uh, big whatchamacallit movie you did, you know with the big neo-natal ninja turtle with cooties, got beaten out by a chick flick.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘whatchamacallit’.
Words that get substituted for a word the person can't call to mind
just the next words that come along
. . . apologetic statesmen of a compromising kind,
Such as--What d'ye call him--Thing'em-bob, and likewise--Never-mind,
and 'St--'st--'st--and What's-his-name, and also You-know-who-- <...
Words that I used to know.
Words for the guessing game of Contact, which is remarkably effective at killing time when you're with 2 or more people. The game is similar to Botticelli.
pass me that...
Looking for tweets for whatchamacallit.