from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- suffix An alcohol or a phenol: glycerol.
- suffix Variant of -ole.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- suffix An alcohol or phenol.
- suffix Indicating an oily substance
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- suffix A suffix denoting that the substance in the name of which it appears belongs to the series of alcohols or hydroxyl derivatives, Such compounds contain the hydroxy radical (-OH).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An abbreviation of Olympiad.
- n. In chem., a termination somewhat loosely used for various compounds, denoting ‘oil’ or ‘alcohol.’
- n. An abbreviation of the Latin oleum, oil;
- n. of overlimen.
Simple sugars those ending in -ose, like sucrose, glucose, maltose, and fructose or sugar alcohols that end in -ol
Lemon Balm Lemon or bee balm is an Old World species, Melissa officinalis, distinguished by its mixture of citrusy and floral terpenes citronellal and -ol, citral, geraniol.