from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun One that keeps, audits, and inspects the financial records of individuals or business concerns and prepares financial and tax reports.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun One who is skilled in or who keeps accounts; one who makes the keeping or examination of accounts his profession; an officer in a public office who has charge of the accounts. Also spelled
- Giving account; accountable; responsible.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective obsolete Accountable.
- noun One who renders account; one accountable.
- noun A reckoner.
- noun One who is skilled in, keeps, or adjusts, accounts; an officer in a public office, who has charge of the accounts.
- noun the head or superintending accountant in certain public offices. Also, formerly, an officer in the English court of chancery who received the moneys paid into the court, and deposited them in the Bank of England.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective obsolete
- noun One who
renders account; one accountable.
- noun A
reckoner, or someone who maintains financialmatters for a person(s)
- noun accounting One who is skilled in, keeps, or adjusts, accounts; an officer in a public office, who has charge of the accounts.
- noun accounting One whose profession includes organizing, maintaining and
auditingthe records of another. The records are usually, but not always, financial records.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun someone who maintains and audits business accounts
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Ugh. So I now I need to add "home repair" to the list of qualities I need in a spouse ( "accountant" is already there as well).
The accountant is on-going since Mexico's tax laws are numerous.
My accountant is examining all the records before approaching SS.
Lange hired an accountant from the company's inception.
The attack by Democrats on outsourcing is "one of the most important reasons some Indians are supporting Republicans," said Namrita Nelson, an Indian-born accountant from the Chicago suburb of Arlington Heights, Ill., who formed the Indian-American Republican Coalition this summer.
I lived with a man for nine years, and just never -- once he said let ` s get married and I called my accountant and he said, are you out of your mind?
ROMANS: I am actually, only because as soon as I get things I start making a pile and I call the accountant right away, but you make a good point that your accountant or tax preparer can't just guess what your gross income is.
I called the accountant who did the budget, Sandy Davies of O'Connor Davies, and was told that Mr. Davies never saw any receipts for any job.
US prosecutors have charged the long-term accountant of disgraced US financier Bernard Madoff with fraud.
On Wednesday, prosecutors charged Madoff's long-term accountant, David Friehling, with fraud.